Wonderful Websites: Goodreads


An Introduction To Goodreads


Goodreads is a book reviewing and finding website at goodreads.com, and you can create shelves, which you store books on. Examples of default shelves are Currently Reading, Read and Want To Read. You can make friends, and I can even link a widget in my blog's HTML to display my Goodreads review! If you want to see and example, go to the review I did of A Series Of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket, and scroll to the end. It then shows you my shortened Goodreads review (you might have to click it to see the full version).


How Do I Use Goodreads?


First you need to create an account. All you need to do this is to go to the homepage, and you can see on the right side, there is a widget that says New here? Create a free account!  Just add your details and you are ready!

Next, you add your books! When it redirects you to your home page, first you add your books that you are reading at the moment! It is on the left side, and there will be a search bar for books. You put the name of your read, and select the correct one from the list that will come up. You can then put the number of the page you are on, and it gives you a percentage of how far through you are!

For the Read section, you search for the book again, and then sort it into the Read shelf. A pop-up then comes up, and you write in your rating, review and recommendation. It is then posted to your Read shelf.

Want To Read is very easy to do. Scroll through some books, and there is a button by the title that says 'Want To Read'. Just click it, and then it is automatically added to your Want To Read shelf.

Why Is Goodreads A 'Wonderful Website'?

I chose Goodreads for my 'Wonderful Websites' series because it is basically the book equivalent of Pinterest or Instagram, and you know how addicting they can be if you have an account. So why not Goodreads? If you love books, it's perfect for you!


How Do I Add A Goodreads Widget To My Blogger Post?

If you have a blog, and want to add your Goodreads review of a book to one of your posts, then all you need to do is go into that post's HTML version, go to this link: https://www.goodreads.com/user/edit?format=html and then pick the review you want, and next to it there will be a long section with the HTML you need to put into your post. Copy and paste it and that review will be in your post!

So that was my post for today! I hope you found it helpful and that you are inspired to start your own Goodreads account! Also, if you have a book blog, please link it below and I will surely have a look at it! See you next time on my blog!

Comments