REVIEW: The Invisible Friend by Louise Arnold

I finished this book yesterday, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I saw my best friend reading it, and I read the blurb, and it sounded really good. She let me borrow it, and it was amazing. you may not have heard of this author, and I hadn't before I read this book. There is two other books in this series, and I am going to buy them and read them since I loved this one so much. 




This book is about Tom Golden, a normal boy (apart from a little tuft on the back of his head), but he gets bullied at school. One night, when Tom is crying, Grey Arthur (a ghost who looks a bit funny, and has not found his ideal job yet) hears him, with his uneven ears. You see, ghosts do not hear normally. They hear by emotion. If you are deeply afraid, and cry out for help, it's almost guaranteed that some kind of ghost will hear you somewhere. Whether it's a Screamer, a Chain Rattler or a Faintly Real, they will hear it. 

So Grey Arthur follows the booming sound of Tom's voice, to his home in Aubergine Road. And then he finds his true calling. Being an Invisible Friend to Tom. Although Tom can't see or hear him (at least not at first), Arthur sets to work on helping Tom at school. That means peeling off signs, and stopping Big Ben - the school bully - from giving Tom another black eye. 

But Big Ben is the least of Tom and Arthur's worries when Tom has an accident. 

This is a really good book, and since the chapters are quite short, it keeps you going for a long time. This book isn't a long one, so it shouldn't take you that long to read, and neither should the other ones in the series. So that encourages you to read it as well.

Overall, I rate this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐, and I recommend it to ages 9-12. It is very funny and witty, and you should read it. 

Thank you for reading my review, and I hope to see you soon on my blog! 😃
The Invisible Friend

Comments