How To Organise Your Bookshelf

In this post I am going to do another tutorial, but this one is a bit different. I have recently organised my book shelf, which took ages, so if you are stuck on where to start, this is the post for you. These are my best tips, and I hope they help!


1. When do you have plenty of time?

Find a day where you have loads of free time, because then you can take as long as you like, and really think about what you want to keep and what to donate to a charity shop, school or another family member. I am going to donate my books to my school.

2. Start from the very beginning.

Be organised about it. Start from the left side of the top shelf, and then work your way right and down. This way you will always know where you are on your bookshelf.

3. Have you read it in the last three-four years?

If you haven't read a book for years and years and years then it is probably best you get rid of it. If you want to keep a copy of some form of it, take a photo! Here are some examples of photos I took when I cleared out my bookshelf: 
I labelled the file on my computer Memories, and then you can keep a copy of all your books on your computer!

4. Where will the books go?

OK, now you've sorted your books, you need to decide where they will go! School? Charity shop? Family member? Library? It's your choice. Charity shops will take more worn copies, so vintage/old books would be good to donate there. Schools will mostly take well-kept books, but they have to be suitable for pretty much any year group depending on where the school decides to put them. 

5. Alphabetical order.

After I cleared my useless books out, I put my books in alphabetical order by author. This may seem a bit overkill but it makes books easier to find on your bookshelf. I recommend doing this. Libraries tend to organise their books this way, and it helps you find books there, so why not at home?

6. Read your books!

Now you are super organised, you can get on with reading those leftover books buried by the side of your bookshelf! Clearing out books also makes space for new books!

Thank you for reading this post. I hope you find it helpful, and visit my blog again! See you soon!

Comments