REVIEW: Magrit by Lee Battersby

For today's post I am doing another review, and this book, Magrit by Lee Battersby, was so good that I couldn't stop reading it, and I ended up reading it the day I borrowed it from the library. So I did a review on it.

Magrit lives in an abandoned cemetery. She was lost in there when she was four, and no-one found her or even thought to look there. She has no idea about her past, or her proper name. All she has as family is Master Puppet, whom she built from old bones and twigs from the cemetery. But when a stork drops a live baby into the cemetery, Magrit's life changes. She has to raise a child, and Master Puppet does not like the baby at all. And then a new voice comes to Magrit's head, an unknown one. Who is it?

I like this book because it keeps you turning the pages, until you finish the book. And then it is still brilliant. Also, its ending is very unexpected and interesting, and in some ways sudden. And it has creepy factor, which makes it even more amazing.

I would definitely recommend this book to others, especially ages 9-14.

The cover is very simple, and it draws you in. It also has two meanings, as the edition that I read has the illustrations on the front in the shape of a skull, which represents the cemetery. I didn't actually realise it was in the shape of a skull, but when I did it made sense and wasn't just completely random.

My favourite character was Magrit herself, as she is so caring towards Bugrat (the baby) and she raises him like her own. And, she has done well in the cemetery. She seemed like such a good mother (seemed... dun dun dun!). I also like Master Puppet.

My least favourite character was all the humans who live around the cemetery, because they don't really seem that nice at all (that's more than one person, but oh well).

Overall I rate this book 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 because it is just an outstanding book in every way. Always keeps you turning the pages, and an original plot that has never been done before. It is also all set in an abandoned cemetery, and that is an extremely unique setting for a novel. (And in my library's edition the sides of the pages are pinky-purple, and that's really cool).

And that was my review of Magrit by Lee Battersby. I hope you enjoyed it, and read this book! 📚

Comments