REVIEW: Looking At The Stars by Jo Cotterill

The past three days have been like a reading marathon for me. i finished one book the day I got it, and I finished Looking At The Stars yesterday. Speaking of Looking At The Stars, this post is a review of it. I found this a very sad book indeed, and I could barely stop myself from spoiling the story. Nevertheless, this post has NO SPOILERS in it, so you can relax and read it without worrying. Even though this book is sad, it's absolutely brilliant.

Amina and her family live in a village which is ruled by a cruel dictatorship, the Kwana. Their leader, Ranami, is truly evil. But when foreign soldiers arrive at the village where they live, they bring along hope of a better life. Although the Kwana are strong. Very strong. Then things turn from good to bad, as Amina's family are put in danger, and they are torn apart. Amina and her sister Jenna are now alone to face the world. Amina's vivid imagination and wonderful stories are all they have, but how can that help them survive?

I like the book because it has adventure. I didn't really expect to like all the sadness, but I really did in the end, and I didn't expect to like the book at all but I did. So, always try new books! (For tips to find books you will like see yesterday's post).

I would recommend this book to ages 11-16, because it is a bit upsetting in places.

The cover I find is very pretty, and I just can't stop looking at it (the one I've got has blue hexagons and silhouettes on the cover). So the cover is definitely one of the things I love about the book.

My favourite part of the book was when everything was kind of half happy at the end. I'm not going to tell you what happens because otherwise I'll spoil it.

My favourite character was Amina, as she was always positive even at the hardest times. I think that is a very good quality to have in a person. (At school we are looking at being positive this week as well, or was it last week?).

My least favourite characters were the Kwana. They did something unforgivable in the book (I won't tell you what, because I'll spoil it), and they were just thoroughly evil.

I would rate the book 🌟🌟🌟🌟, purely because it is sad, and I am not very keen on sad books. I prefer comedy or adventure. However, I give it four because I loved the idea of it and the plot.

I hope you enjoyed my review of Looking At The Stars by Jo Cotterill, and I'll see you tomorrow for my next post! ⭐📚📑 
Looking At The Stars

Comments